Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Passing of a Friend

Tonight, I learned of the passing of George J. Meitzler, Jr. "G.J.", as he was known to his friends, was the grandfather of Kim Benke of our Charleston Fire Department family. He was a long-time member of the Charleston County Rescue Squad and that's where I first met him and became his friend. In February, 1976, I had just been hired as an Assistant Chief of the North Charleston District Fire Department. At the age of 26, I was, quite frankly, nervous about my new job responsibilities. The rescue squad shared space with us in our Headquarters on Dorchester Road near Interstate 26. On my first day, I recognized G.J. there. He was the first familiar face I saw as I had known him through our responses with the rescue squad when I worked at St. Andrews Fire Department. I guess he sensed my nervousness as he told me that things would work out and he would help me in any way that he could. Little did I know that I would lean on him many times over the years to come. The last time we spent time together was in June of last year when he attended a picnic for the Charleston 9 families at Mepkin Abbey. He and I rode down to the river in my golf cart and talked about the good ole days. Our friendship was always one of mutual respect and I feel honored to have had him in my life.

Our sincere condolences go out to Ms. Marie, Kim, JoAnn, Ricky, Taylor, Hunter, and the entire Meitzler family.

No comments: