Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Man and His Truck(s)!

I’m reminded in some way regularly that it is life’s simple pleasures that really define our day. I have written here before about my friends and “breakfast buddies” at Ms. Eva’s in Summerville. As the youngster in the group (I can’t claim this very often), I always enjoy sharing a good story with the guys. This week, I took a photograph of Engine 11 in with me to show off our work and realized how much people appreciate the fire department and what you all do for our communities. It seemed that everyone at the table had a fire truck story to tell. Some were about their childhood excitement at seeing a fire engine roaring down the street, another about a fire truck that belonged to the State Ports back in the 30’s and never seemed to run when they needed it. I have written here before about Mr. Henry, ninety years of age and still driving. Well, today, Mr. Henry came into the restaurant and told me he had something he wanted to show me in his car. Mr. Henry, you see, is a collector of many things, mostly knives of all shapes and sizes but, today, he wanted to show me two of his most prized collectibles, two tin fire engines complete with great detail. It is true, we can’t ever have enough toys!

No comments: