Friday, May 28, 2010

Good Bye to a Friend......

It is especially difficult to share with you that Engineer Sammy White, CFD Retired, passed away today at his home in Charleston. Sammy joined the CFD in June, 1966 and served until July, 1991. He served the majority of his career in the truck house and was the driver of Truck 5 upon his retirement. I first became friends with Sammy in my twenties when he drove for Captain Phil Hawkins. He would take me under his wing when I visited Coming Street and he taught me a great deal about pride in the job and brotherhood among firefighters. Little did I know that many years later, when I would return to the fire service to work in the counseling unit, Sammy and I would renew our friendship in the CFD Retirees’ “Hooked Up” program. I last spoke to him at Engine 8’s 100th anniversary party two weeks ago. Sammy and I would laugh about the “old days” and I always called him the best “wheel man” I ever knew. Sammy could put Truck 5 in the most narrow of alleys and shortest of streets without hesitation. He was truly a “truckman” in every sense. Our most sincere condolences go out to Ms. Pearl and the entire family. Funeral arrangements are incomplete at this time.

No comments: