Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Peanut Butter

Several posts ago, (The Good Old Days”), I wrote about a friend of mine, Fred Walker, a man whom I have known for many years. He is 86 years of age and lives in a nursing home in Summerville. Each time I see him, he continues to teach me what’s important in life. He has lived a long and good life. He has always been an avid sportsman, successful in his work life, raised a great family and was married to the love of his life for 60 plus years. He is loved by many people, including me, and has never known a stranger. Mrs. Walker passed away last month and he is now settled in where he will spend the remainder of his life. Everyday things that once troubled him are a distant past. I suspect he is lonely, although he would never admit it, is sad, but would never show it. He tells me that we should be thankful for all that we have, especially friends and family, and to enjoy life to the fullest. As I prepared to leave him yesterday, I asked if there was anything I could do for him or anything I could get him. He pondered a short moment and said,” I need some crunchy peanut butter”. I thought for a minute and realized that here was a man that had lived well into his eighties, and had a right to ask for anything and it was simply peanut butter that would make him happy. Once again, he showed me what is important. Not great material things or lots of money but simple things that make us smile. I believe we all can learn from this that if we live good lives, love our families and respect our friends we too will have happiness in our lives regardless of the trials and tribulations we may face. Be safe my friends, I think I’m going to make myself a peanut butter sandwich.

No comments: